Roast Chicken with Giblet Gravy
The perfect roast chicken.
Chicken by Hugh Grierson Organics.
Perfect Roast Chicken
1x 2kg chicken with Giblets 1 lemon 4 cloves garlic Salt and pepper 15g plain flour
1. Remove the giblets from the inside of your chicken. Leave to one side. Place your chicken in a roasting dish with plenty of room to get your roast potatos around it in the same dish.
2. Cut a lemon in half. Squeeze it a little over the bird and then place both halves inside the cavity of the chicken. Don’t peel the garlic cloves. Place them on a board. Put the flat of a large knife over them and with the heel of your hand crush the cloves once or twice. Place in the cavity of the chicken. Grind salt and pepper over the chicken. Put in a pre heated oven (210C) for 20 mins per 500g.
In the meantime:
3. Giblets are the neck, heart and stomach of your chicken. They are all clean and ready to use and well worth the bother.
4. Empty the giblets into ¾ pint water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the froth if there is any.
6. Remove the giblets and keep the stock.
7. When you chicken has finished cooking, take it out of your roasting pan and cover with foil to keep warm. Leave it to rest. It will keep warm for up to 30 mins. Sprinkle about ½ oz of plain flour into the roasting pan and mix it with the meat juices.
8. Allow the flour and juices mixture to cook for a minute or 2.
9. Slowly add in the giblet stock stirring briskly to break up any lumps.
10. Keep the pan on the heat until the gravy thickens.
11. Add extra water to get the gravy to the consistency you like. Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
Serve with Bread sauce and seasonal veg.
Courtesy of Hugh Grierson Organic who attend the market every Saturday with their free range, organic, home reared chicken.